If you are experiencing difficulties in losing belly fat, you might need to find some help for an effective weight loss. Read the article below to learn more about ginger weight loss properties and how to eat ginger to lose weight.
Ginger for weight loss
When talking about foods to include in the diet to boost weight loss process, ginger is one of the best options to consider. Ginger is a wonderful ingredient that works as a natural appetite suppressant that helps in weight loss. The fresh root of ginger, tea prepared from the ginger powder or dried ginger boosts the metabolism level. Ginger is a low-calorie herb, its root is used as flavour in foods. Preparing a cup of tea is another way to consume this product.
This crispy root has been underrated. The digestive, immunity boosting and weight loss properties of ginger have been discovered just recently.
The Journal of Science and Food Agriculture conducted an experiment on overweight mice that were given ginger extract for a month. It was found that the overweight mice showed a significant weight loss over 30 days. Besides, the mice showed an improvement in the blood sugar level and other changes in their health condition.
READ ALSO: Benefits of mint leaves for weight loss
What does ginger do to the body?
Ginger is known to benefit one’s health and reduce weight thanks to its strong properties in burning belly fat which is one of the most common problems nowadays. Let’s take a look at ginger’s crucial properties and benefits to health.
You might ask can I eat ginger to lose weight and how can i do it properly to avoid side effects. The answer is yes, you definitely can eat ginger to lose weight or maintaining a healthy weight. So, why is ginger so helpful and what does it do to the body?
Ginger is a newly discovered natural remedy that includes many ingredients which are known to cause positive changes in different body systems, especially, on the digestive system. It helps in curing a lot of digestive disorders, including upset stomach, vomiting, and ulcers. Ginger does wonders as it deals with the root causes of overweight which are overeating, hormonal changes, and low body energy.
It is important to understand that you need to exercise when including ginger in the diet as ginger tea or ginger as a spice added to foods alone cannot make any huge changes in weight loss. Remember that if you don’t eat healthily and exercise regularly, even large amounts of ginger are not going to help you with weight loss.
Here are the main properties of ginger and its benefits for weight loss:
- Keeps serum cholesterol level under control, purifies the blood removing the toxins. It also keeps the blood sugar under control and prevents diabetes.
- Stimulates digestion and keeps bloating away. The recent research found that this food contains a certain type of caffeine that is helpful in digestion and weight loss.
- Curbs appetite. Ginger root includes leptin a compound that makes us feel full and satisfied after having a meal. Curbing the urge to overeat is one of the essential tasks of the fat fighting ingredients.
- Regulates cortisol level. Cortisol is a stress-inducing hormone which should also be under control to decrease the amount of belly fat. Ginger is known to control the production of cortisol, so you can drink ginger tea to make you less stressed out that contributes to weight loss as well. Though, if a lot of stress is influencing your nervous system, ginger alone will not make a big difference.
- Enhances thermogenesis. Ginger was named the edible amphetamine. The thermogenic effect it is causing is known to increase the body temperature and help to boost metabolism, make you feel energized that trigger the process of burning calories.
- Increases the energy level. If your levels of energy are low, fresh ginger tea can improve your energy level and put you in the mood for workout to burn more calories.
- Prevents deficiency of vitamin C and strengthens the immune system helping to prevent cold and infections.
READ ALSO: Non carbohydrate foods in Nigeria
How to eat ginger for weight loss
A 200 ml cup of ginger tea contains hardly 20 calories. It also can be taken with some snacks between main meals which helps to curb the appetite.
Here’s a recipe to make ginger tea for weight loss:
- Ginger root or ginger powder – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 200 ml
- A slice of lemon
To prepare ginger tea, take fresh, grated roots or dried ginger powder. If you want to prepare tea from fresh root, take a 2-inch long piece, peel it and grate. First, boil the water. Lower the flame, add ginger to boiled water and simmer for a few minutes. Then, strain and add honey and lemon if desired. Remember that if you add honey to make the tea sweat or for a better taste, use only warm water as all the useful vitamins and nutrients included in honey can be destroyed by heat. Alternatively, if the ginger tea is drunk hot, it will bring better benefits for weight loss but, in this case, ginger tea is not advised to be flavored with honey.
Alongside the honey and lemon, the following foods can be added to ginger tea for better weight loss results:
- Whole wheat bread
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh fruits
The possible side effects of ginger tea
Ginger tea might cause some undesirable side effects if one consumes excessive amounts of this weight loss tea. It is recommended to use no more than 4 grams of dried or grained ginger a day. Studies show that ginger consumed excessively can lead to heartburns and upset stomach. Those who are taking medicine to improve digestive or blood systems should stay away from using this herb both as a tea and spice as it is known to ruin the effect of such medications.
The best time to drink ginger tea
To make most out of ginger tea drink it as early in the morning as you can, preferably, a half an hour right before breakfast, on an empty stomach. Drinking ginger tea between main meals will curb the appetite. Right before going to sleep, drink ginger tea again.
Ginger is known to be one of the most effective products to include in the diet for weight loss. It is not only a quick but safe measure in fighting weight gain and many other health problems. Many people use ginger tea with lemon and honey daily to get impressive results.
READ ALSO: Best lunch food items for weight loss